The People's Socialist Republic of Benin and formerly Dahomey, is a rural, socialist country in West Africa. It is bordered by Togo to the west, by Nigeria to the east and by Burkina Faso and Niger to the north.
- Porto-Novo dockyard was damaged by a 475tn HE cruse missile.
- Capital- Porto-Novo
- Other cities- Cotonou, Ouidah, Natitingou and Kandi.
- Official languages- French.
- Other languages-Fon, Adja and Yoruba.
- Population- 4,345,000. 60,000 died in and directly after the attack.
- Ethnic groups-
- 39.2% Fon.
- 15.2% Adja.
- 12.3% Yoruba.
- 9.2% Bariba.
- 7.0% Fula.
- 6.1% Ottamari.
- 4.0% Kabye.
- 2.5% Dendi.
- 1.6% other.
- 2.9% unspecified.
- Religion- 42.8% of the population of Benin were Christian, 24.4% were Muslim, 17.3% practiced Vodun, 6% practiced other local traditional religions, 1.9% practiced other religious groups, and 6.5% claim no religious affiliation.
- Leader- Mathieu Kérékou.
- Regime- Marxist-Leninist single-party state.
- Economy- Stable, but financially poor peasant agricultural type.